Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Pizza Salad--My New Favorite Thing

I love having salad for dinner. I never thought in a million years as a child that I would ever say that. But I do! There are lots of yummy toppings and you don't feel as guilty or bloated as when you have cake and ice cream for dinner... yes, sometimes that happens. Don't judge me.

The only problem with salad is that even when it has ample protein in it, it just doesn't feel very filling and I find myself looking for something a little more satisfying just an hour or two later. I've never been one of those girls who eats a salad and declares how full she is. I say, "Bring on the breadsticks!"

So the combination of pizza and salad is just too good to pass up. You still get that light, happy feeling that all adults do when they have successfully eaten a good amount of vegetables, but you get the satisfied feeling of being full too. And the best part is that this dinner is SO easy, especially when you don't make your own pizza dough. But homemade is really good, so kudos to all you great supermoms and dads and other readers out there! You rock.



Here's how I do it:


  1. Buy the frozen bread dough loaves in your local grocery store.
  2. Let the dough thaw all day long in a greased bowl. If it is taking too long to thaw, heat your oven to the lowest setting and place the bowl in the oven for as long as it takes for the dough to double in size. 
  3. Sprinkle cornmeal on a baking sheet. This keeps the dough from sticking and gives it an amazing texture. 
  4. Roll out the dough and place it on the cornmeal covered baking sheet
  5. Put it in the oven at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes or just until the dough starts to turn golden around the edges
  6. Pull the pizza dough out of the oven and top it with your favorite sauce (I did pesto) and fresh mozzarella (you can, of course, not do fresh, but it is SOOOOOO much better with fresh). Pop it back in the oven for about 5 minutes until cheese is all melted. (You can also butter the crust and sprinkle parmesan, garlic, or basil flakes around the edge. It's divine.)
  7. Pull pizza out and top with your favorite leafy greens (arugula is great), and your other toppings. (I did fresh shaved parmesan, halved cherry tomatoes, and peppers) 
  8. Viola! Enjoy. (Enough parenthesis for you?)

I have done this several times and I have to say that the fresher the ingredients, the better the pizza. It is seriously delicious and my two year old will even eat it, vegetables and all! He'll eat anything on a pizza. 

My favorite toppings for this pizza are so good, even though I don't have a picture, I'm going to share it with you. 

Sauce: fig preserves
Cheese: fresh mozzarella
Greens: arugula 
Other Toppings: bacon, fresh parmesan, sprinkled balsamic vinegar

No comments:

Post a Comment